Tuesday, April 18

Mo Better . . . Street Corners



NE corner of Fairfax and Pico. For over a year I passed by this Mo Better Meatty Meat Burgers place on my bicycle commute home from work. A vegetarian for 12 years, this was at once disgusting to me and at the same time reassuring because it was boarded up and locked behind gates, graffitied and clearly not . . . serving dead cows. Anymore. Of course, the McDonald's down the street still is, but that's another story.

Anyways, two months ago I actually had my camera with me because I had needed it at work, so I stopped at various points of my commute to document some oddities. This was one of them. Today, on my commute, I stopped at my usual corner, one foot on the curb, the other on my pedal, scanning the lights to anticipate the perfect moment between cars and photons that I could safely jump my light and be on my way, when my eyes picked up a certain emptiness . . . on the NE corner of Fairfax and Pico . . . and my jaw dropped as I realized that the entire Mo Better Meatty Meat Burgers building was GONE, some broken pieces of urbanite and a bulldozer in its stead.

Tonight I will pray to the infinite goof and to the goddess of cosmic irony that Mo Better is not going to be replaced by a McDonald's. Please feel free to do the same . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I heard Mo Betta was owned by vegetarians and had the best homemade veggie burgers in the city, once upon a time.

Anonymous said...

Mo Better Meatty Meat Burgers saved my life. I was dying in the hospital... Suddenly I got better but I couldn't eat at all. My Mom took me to Mo Better Meatty Meat Burger and I slowly ate a full burger there... And... I knew then that I was going to be okay!

The smallest things can make such a large impact in a persons life!